Professional teeth whitening sessions can get you the white set of teeth you have always wanted. It involves using products that contain whitening agents like hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen carbamide to oxidize stains and remove them. What is the difference between professional teeth whitening treatments and the countless products sold at drug stores, you ask?…
The Dental Crown Placement Process
Curious about what the process for getting a dental crown is like? Also called caps, crowns are used to restore the function of damaged teeth, protect them from further damage and to restore their appearance. They are one of the most commonly used restorations in dentistry and they can be used to fix:
- Chipped, fractured or broken teeth
- Deformed teeth
- Short teeth
- Spaces between teeth
- Decayed teeth
A dental crown can also be combined with other treatments or restorations. For example, crowns serve as the artificial teeth on implants and they are used to anchor down dental bridges.
Installing a dental crown
The installation of a dental crown often involves two trips to the dentist. During the first visit, the patient's tooth is prepared for the crown, and the impression needed to make a customized crown is taken. The second visit involves installing the permanent crown. Here are the different steps patients should expect when getting a dental crown:
- Examination: The process of getting a crown starts with the dentist examining the patient's teeth to determine if a dental crown is a good solution. In some cases, other treatment options like composite bonding or veneers might be more appropriate for the patient's condition
- Preparation: Once the dentist determines a crown is an appropriate solution for the patient, the tooth that needs a crown will be prepared. This involves removing portions of enamel from all four sides of the tooth. The removal of enamel creates a better fit for the crown
- Taking an impression: After the patient's tooth has been prepared for a crown, a dentist might take an impression of the tooth. In some cases, digital images might be used to make a 3D model of the tooth. The impression or data is sent to a lab where technicians make the patient's customized crown. It can take up to two weeks for the finished crown to get back to the patient
- Installing the temporary crown: Since the patient's tooth has already been prepared for a crown at this point, it needs to be protected from acids, saliva and bacteria in the mouth. A temporary crown is used for this purpose. It covers up the tooth while the patient waits for their customized crown to be ready
- Getting the customized crown: The final step involved in the installation of dental crowns is the removal of the temporary crown and the installation of the permanent crown
Life with dental crowns
Dental crowns do not need specialized cleaning, so those who get them simply need to practice good oral hygiene to keep their restoration in good condition. This includes brushing twice each day, flossing once daily and using an antibacterial mouthwash to protect teeth and gums from oral bacteria.
There is no recovery period after getting crowns, but some patients experience increased tooth sensitivity. This should last no more than a few days.
Protect your tooth with a dental crown
Call our Springfield Township clinic if you need a crown on one or more of your teeth. Our dentist will explain all your options to you.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Teeth whitening treatments are the fastest way to significantly improve the color of teeth, and the results can last for years depending on how well the person takes care of their mouth. These treatments are performed using chemicals with bleaching properties like hydrogen carbamide and hydrogen peroxide.The bleaching agents can remove stains from the outer…
Minor to moderate teeth stains can be removed with professional teeth whitening. However, to achieve ideal results, there are certain things to avoid after treatment, such as foods and drinks that can cause stains. The following overview discusses five things you should avoid to keep your smile bright after teeth whitening treatment.You can reduce the…
Teeth whitening is a way to improve the appearance of your smile by removing stains on highly visible teeth. Professional teeth whitening is performed either in the office or through at-home kits prescribed by the dentist. This review highlights the pros and cons of teeth whitening treatments. The benefits you receive from teeth whitening depend…